Thursday 28 February 2013

Oreo Ice Cream Cake (Quick Recipe) Oreo雪糕蛋糕

It was my husband's birthday and I was at my parents' home where I could neither find an oven nor baking tools. I had to make a cake out no matter what because that is the only thing my husband has requested when I asked him what he wants for his birthday. I thought of making a non-bake cheese cake and I could not even find cream cheese in the small town which made me worried. Finally I came out with an idea about making an ice cream cake with the memory I had for 'How to make Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe' video by Laura and added some of my creativity *wink*

I did not make it from scratch. I bought a plain butter sponge cake from the bakery, a tub of ice cream, some wafer sticks and a packet of Oreo chocolate biscuits. It turned out quite nice but my husband complained it was a little too stiff. Don't worry I found ways to make it better. Lets see how I make this and the improving tips are at the bottom ^^

Ingredients: (7inch mould/container)
1 round butter sponge cake
1 packet Oreo chocolate cookies
2 packets chocolate wafer sticks
1 tub (about 1.2 litre) vanilla ice cream (I used vanilla with cashew, chocolate and caramel)

Steps:
1. Get the ice cream out of the fridge and let it stay at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes (this is in hot Malaysia, stay longer if it is winter at your place). Transfer the whole tub of ice cream into a large bowl and and give it a good stir.
2. Put all the Oreos into a freezer bag (I have removed the cream filling, you can skip this if you like them) and crush the cookies using a rolling pin or empty bottle until you get a fine cookie crumbs texture.
3,4. Add 3/4 of the cookie crumbs into the ice cream and stir to mix well.
5. Line the mould/container with a large piece of cling film to make sure it covers the bottom and sides of your cake and make sure you can pull the cake out of the mould easily later. Cut the butter sponge cake according to the size of your mould/container and cut horizontally into 3 layers. Lay the bottom layer in your mould.
6. Arrange the wafer sticks around the edge to form a fence and try to avoid gaps. (I used some oreos because I ran out of wafer sticks, so make sure you buy enough wafer sticks :P)
7. Pour the 1/3 of the ice cream mixture over the cake.
8. Add on another layer of cake and repeat step 7. Do the same for the last layer and even the ice cream surface. 
9. Sprinkle the remaining cookie crumbs evenly onto the surface and cover the mould/container with cling film/container lid. Send the cake into the freezer and freeze for 4-6 hours. 

Tips:
  • Make sure the cake layers are about 1/2 inch thick (I sliced it more than 1/2 and it becomes too stiff when it is frozen).
  • Make sure you line the cling film higher than your cake at the sides to ensure easy removal and not causing a mess when you try to cut the cake.
  • Soak the chef's knife in hot water for a few seconds and shake off the water before you cut the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment